Manly v Canterbury

NRL Round 20, 2012 -

Sea EaglesBulldogs

It's 7th v 2nd when Manly host Canterbury in NRL Friday Night Footy action. Taking a look at the bookmakers latest NRL odds we see that Manly are trading between $1.66 up to $1.709 while Canterbury are priced between $2.22 up to $2.28. The Line Handicap is Manly -2.5 Canterbury +2.5 with lines of -/+3 and -/+3.5 also available.

Manly: The Sea Eagles are currently sitting in 7th (24 pts) place on the ladder with 10 wins and 7 losses. It has been an up and down season for the reigning champs with some unexpected losses to lower placed sides and numerous injuries and Tony Williams long suspension to contend with. Manly have averaged 20.47 points per game in attack and allowed an average of 18.06 on defense for a +2.41 points per game differential. Recent NRL results have seen Manly lose to Newcastle (6-32), defeat Parramatta (40-24) and Sydney (52-14) and go down to Melbourne (22-26). NRL betting results for the Sea Eagles sees them with a 7-8-2 (-$135) line handicap record and 10-7 (-$59.50) head to head record. With regard to Manly's injury problems throughout the season, none has probably been as significant as that of Glenn Stewart who is an integral part of their line up. In games Stewart has played the Sea Eagles have a 5-2 (71%) record, one of those losses Stewart was replaced just before half time due to injury, while in games where he has been absent the team has gone 5-5 (50%).

Canterbury: The Bulldogs will be looking for their eighth win on the trot when they visit coach Des Hasler's old club. Canterbury is in 2nd (28pts) place on the ladder with 12 wins and 5 losses. They are sporting a +8.7 points differential care of scoring an average of 23.35 points per game while allowing an average of 14.65. The Bulldogs have been the punters friend so far this season with a league best 13-3-1 (+$935) line handicap record and 2nd best 12-5 (+$497.10) head to head record. Over their past four games Canterbury has been too good for the Eels (32-12), Tigers (32-20), Storm (20-4) and Dragons (28-20). In NRL Futures markets the leading NRL bookmakers have Canterbury as second favourites to win the Grand Final at odds between $4.50 up to $5.00.

NRL Betting History Manly v Canterbury Round 20, 2012
Date Odds Line Home Score V Score Away Line Odds
14/04/07 1.49 -6.5 Canterbury 14 V 16 Manly 6.5 2.85
22/06/07 1.55 -5.5 Manly 8 V 27 Canterbury 5.5 2.65
26/04/08 1.5 -6 Manly 30 V 22 Canterbury 6 2.8
14/03/09 2.62 5.5 Canterbury 34 V 12 Manly -5.5 1.56
06/07/09 1.78 -3 Manly 19 V 12 Canterbury 3 2.18
05/09/10 1.47 -6.5 Manly 24 V 30 Canterbury 6.5 2.93
04/06/11 2.27 2.5 Canterbury 4 V 38 Manly -2.5 1.71
21/08/11 1.31 -10 Manly 27 V 16 Canterbury 10 3.85
27/04/12 2.15 2 Canterbury 10 V 12 Manly -2 1.75

Manly v Canterbury History: What light does recent history shed on this match up ? Well over the last 9 regular season games played Manly holds the advantage having won 6 times too Canterbury's 3 wins. The home side has won 4 times too the visitors 5 wins and the starting favourite has a 5-4 record. The winner has covered the line handicap bet 8-0-1 and the average game total is 39.44 points. When they met earlier this season it was Manly who got the win (12-10) as $1.75 favourites however the line of -/+2 resulted in a push.

The Prediction - First off, it should be a cracker of a game! From a betting perspective however here at BetonFooty.com.au we will be leaving this one alone as current bookmakers odds don't offer enough value by our numbers. We give the Sea Eagles a 53% chance and the Bulldogs 47%, so it is nearly a coin toss. Will keep an eye on the weather and the over under total once it is posted.