Hawthorn v Collingwood

AFL Round 1, 2012

A bumper crowd is expected on Friday night as Hawthorn host Collingwood in a rematch of last seasons preliminary final. The bookmakers have installed the Hawks as favourites for this game with our Live AFL Odds Comparison currently showing Hawthorn as high as $1.69 in the Head to Head Odds and Collingwood as high as $2.30. Those odds are roughly giving Hawthorn a 58% chance of winning and Collingwood about 42%. Luxbet's current Line Handicap has Hawthorn -6.5 / Collingwood +6.5 while Pinnacle, Sportsbet.com.au and Centrebet have the line at HAW -7.5 / COL +7.5.

Over the last 5 years in regular season play Hawthorn have started as favourites over Collingwood on 3 occasions, they have won all three and covered the Line twice. In the 7 regular season games played between these two sides over the last 5 years the favourite has won 5 and lost 2. The team that won straight up has covered the AFL line handicap 6 of 7. The average game total has been 192.29 and the average margin of victory has been 40 points.

AFL Betting History Hawthorn v Collingwood Round 1, 2012
Date Odds Line Home Score V Score Away Line Odds
01/07/07 2.28 8.5 Collingwood 87 V 95 Hawthorn -8.5 1.71
03/05/08 1.57 -13.5 Hawthorn 154 V 89 Collingwood 13.5 2.6
01/08/08 3.04 15.5 Collingwood 62 V 116 Hawthorn -15.5 1.44
18/07/09 1.4 -17.5 Collingwood 76 V 121 Hawthorn 17.5 3.2
17/04/10 1.65 -9.5 Collingwood 123 V 59 Hawthorn 9.5 2.39
28/08/10 2.6 11.5 Hawthorn 98 V 95 Collingwood -11.5 1.56
03/07/11 1.34 -22.5 Collingwood 106 V 65 Hawthorn 22.5 3.56

If you like either of these two teams chances of taking out this years premiership, and many do. The AFL Futures markets unanimously have Collingwood as favourites amongst the leading Online Bookmakers with odds ranging from $3.5 up to $3.90. They are closely followed by Hawthorn who is trading between $4.00 and $4.20.

No doubt Hawthorns strong pre season form combined with Collingwood's injury troubles are behind their favouritism. They will be without Max Bailey (wrist) who will likely be replaced by Broc McCauley. Collingwood are likely to be without Nick Maxwell (ankle), Nathan Brown (knee), Chris Tarrant, Cameron Wood, Dayne Beams and Alan Didak.